Every month (or so!) I take the time to compile these tidbits into a 'Best of' post for each month where I highlight some of the coolest images, the most interesting articles, the biggest misappropriators, and the neatest videos that were posted to BB's Facebook page. So here you go, fashionistas, the Best of March:
1. There was this great review by Kate Crowley of the Beyond Buckskin Boutique x Presence 4.0 fashion event that was held in Phoenix (above left).
2. The Project Runway top contestant Patricia Michaels launched a new website.
3. There was this really cool clip about cultural appropriation and that "Harlem Shake" thing!
4. The Mar/Apr issue of Native Peoples Magazine is on newsstands now! It includes a spread that features Beyond Buckskin Boutique fashion and jewelry by Jared Yazzie, MaRia Bird, David Sloan, and Wayne Nez Gaussoin! (bottom left)
5. Fresh fashion by Penny Singer (above right).
6. Cool new studded buffalo horn jewelry by Kevin Pourier:
7. We launched the Beyond Buckskin Lookbook in Vegas!!!!
8. Michelle Williams was being a loser and dressed up in redface, because racism is the latest hot hot trend.
9. Native American artists take back the headdress.
10. I gave a presentation in Santa Fe at the School for Advanced Research about Native American fashion.
11. The Examiner and First American Art talked about my talk.
12. I was on the radio! Talkin about fashion, of course.
13. Indianz.com and Phoenix Taco covered the Lookbook launch!
14. Whisper n Thunder spotlighted Native fashion designers on their podcast!
15. April's Style Bible issue of GQ magazine listed the Santa Fe Indian Market as 1 of the 25 Shops Worth Traveling For. "No disrespect to Urban Outfitters, but the legit Navajo prints are at this summer mega-event." That's right - go legit!
16. I had the great honor of sitting on a panel at Reed College yesterday with scholar Adrienne Keene of Native Appropriations and artist Louie Gong of 8th Generation. Here, Phillip Hillaire captures this moment as we get ready to talk about Native misappropriations in fashion and more.
17. We launched the awesome Don't Trend on Me tee by Jared Yazzie for OxDx!
18. "Taken from the reservations but made in China" - oooh snap! - Check out this poem by Navajo poet Hannabah Blue in support of the #NotATrend Campaign
19. Alicia's Ink! First nations artist of Nuu-Chah-Nulth/Kwakwaka'wakw Nations. Creating customized Native designs on modern clothing, shoes, and accessories.
20. We launched the BRAVER earring by MaRia Bird for Mea B'Fly. It's an earring for a cause. Proceeds from the sales of this earring go towards helping families affected by cancer. Look fly and help our communities.